Habits are hard. The good ones are hard to implement and stick around while it seems the bad ones never want to leave your side. It’s said that a habit can develop – or be broken – in 21 days. That might seem like an eternity, but that’s really a blip in the big picture. So why – why don’t we stop our bad habits once we recognize them and we know that we could be better versions of ourselves without them?
I’m going to try and open up here a little more on my blog. Yes, I’ve been using it mostly for to share my travel guides and styling advice with, but lately, I’ve been feeling like I want to share a bit more with y’all – deeper things like what I’m struggling with at the moment or going through, lessons I’ve learned and funny situations I’ve learned to laugh at. Habits good and bad really do form the foundation of what kind of person we are. All of these are habits that I deal with on a regular basis or ones that I’ve recognized and put an end to. Here are ten bad habits you too need to stop doing right now:
- Surrounding yourself with negativity – It’s so easy and comfortable to keep the friends you know from growing up or college around in your life. but it can be difficult to see when these people are no longer supportive and lifting you up. Be sure to surround yourself with people that inspire you, push you and shower you with positivity!
- Relying on your phone for everything – I get it. We can know everything and anything in an instant on our phones. It really is amazing and I’m not knocking that fact. But let us not lose our humanity in the “search” — look at that map, ask a stranger for directions.
- Overcommitting – Spreading yourself too thin by trying to be in more places than one. Be sure to slow down and make room for yourself first.
- Procrastinating – I think this one applies to all of us.
- Charging your phone next to your bed -this is one of my most difficult habits to break and has been my New Years resolution for the past 3 consecutive years running. I’ll lay in bed for at least 20 minutes before I head to sleep and scroll. Blue light is horrible for you, especially that late at night and you should be winding your mind down, not scrolling and stimulating your thoughts.
- Pushing your bedtime back – you wouldn’t be pressing snooze as often if you were going to bed at a decent hour. I use the “Bedtime” app in my iPhone, which will ping me when I should be headed to bed and keeps track of all my hours slept during a given week.
- Spending too much time on social media – This is hard for all of us. The scroll is endless and social media was designed this way. I’m not saying delete your apps from the phone, but be conscious how much time you’re spending looking at social media – Apple and Instagram have great insights + metrics that track this!
- Mindlessly eating – yes, that movie popcorn and table bread.
- Slouching – nearly everybody’s posture could be better. Try remembering to straighten your spine like you are a puppet with a string holding you up by your head and pinch your shoulders back.
- Saying “sorry, I’m bad with names” – Everybody says it. By telling yourself that you’re bad with names, you are never allowing yourself the capacity to be good with names because you’ve put yourself in a box and slapped a label on it. Try telling yourself that you’re getting better with remembering names.. and you will be. I also try and repeat the person’s name back to them and look at them in the eyes when I do meet them, has helped me!
What are some of the daily bad habits that you can recognize in your life? Let me know what you’re doing to combat them and shake things up. Did you enjoy this type of post? Let me know your thoughts!